Sunday, October 19, 2014

Next Stop, Italy


Day 5

Said was gracious enough to serve us an early breakfast and catch us a taxi to the airport for our flight to Milan. Oh boy, back to the airport. Make sure you leave plenty of time for all the lines you have to wait in!  The most surprising was walking up to the same (long) customs line... seriously, even on the way out?!  The best thing about leaving was flying out on Britain's EasyJet. I had quite the low expectations for the cheap, no frills airline but out of Morocco, they are the way to go. I was overjoyed when the primary announcement was made in English!  I thought it was funny that they announce the seats need to be in their upright position, but they don't even recline. 



Looking out the plane window, at the foreign lands below, I am emotional - thankful to my dearest Greg for allowing me to travel (I love you!). 



From Milan we would be taking the bullet train to Florence. We had a few hours to kill so we dropped our bags at the train station's left luggage, and went exploring. I really wanted to see Milan's duomo, the 2nd largest cathedral in the world!  Actually what I really wanted to do was go on its terraces (roof) but pressed for time, decided to save it for next time. Instead we walked around inside the church. I was first struck by how dark it is, but when my eyes adjusted, the stained glass popped out with colorful brilliance. Staring at the pillars and ceiling, I was in awe by its enormity. 





We returned to the train station with almost 2 hours to spare because mom did not want to miss our train. Other than needing to pick up our bags and get a bite to eat, we didn't need more than 15 minutes there because that is about the time they announce the platform. I had read really horrible stories about the theft at the station, but did not see it as an unsafe place - it's best to be aware, prepared, and smart though. I used the extra time to people watch, observe how the station works, and appreciate that I am in Europe. 


 





















It was my 1st time on a bullet train. They are fast (190 mph)!  At least they sound and feel fast - it was dark so I couldn't see the landscape flying past. 




When we arrived in Florence, mom was openly relieved to be greeted by her driver and driven off in a Bentley. I wandered around on my way to the hotel - reacquainting myself with the sights. We are staying at the Hotel Bernini, one step from the Palazzo Vecchio. Our view is of Brunelleschi's beautiful dome. 


No comments:

Post a Comment