Saturday, October 25, 2014

Last Day in Florence

Day 10

Today was the last day of my trip. My last day to consume the Renaissance and Italian culture. My last cappuccino, gelato, wine, and Italian cuisine.  Assisting to burn off all the calories, today was about a very long, exploring walk in the Oltrano, and lots and lots of steps.  

First, as soon as it opened, I climbed ~414 steps up Giotti's bell tower. In no hurry, I took my time especially at the top - enjoying every ounce of the 360 degree views. It was 9:00 so I prepared myself for a very loud bell toll - which didn't come. I found out a little later that it rings 6 times a day, still echoing medieval times, ending with the 2 tolls an hour before sunset and again at sunset - warning and then announcing the closing of the city gates. 

Giotti's Bell Tower

The advantage of climbing the bell tower is seeing the dome up close.

Looking over the edge - that's a long way down!

In the afternoon we took the tour "A Little Peek" of the Duomo. It was our most expensive tour (particularly by the minute), and was truly a brief "little"  but satisfying and well done "peek". At the end, it was our fastpass up ~460 steps to Brunelleschi's masterpiece, the dome.  Our friendly guide joked to some tourists climbing by, 
"You go up with your shopping bags!"  And then commented to us, "Sometimes they go up with their luggage and strollers."

From the top, which is slightly higher than the bell tower, it feels like you could almost leap to it - which was an interesting sensation since I didn't feel it earlier from the top of the tower. We didn't stay long because it was very crowded, and there was a line to get back down. (There are sections where the people climbing up share the narrow walkway with people going down.) Climbing the dome is an absolute highlight of a visit to Florence, and I would recommend it first thing in the morning. 

Squeezing in to the hotel room together for our last night.


Our last dinner was a picnic sitting on the wall of the Arno River enjoying the sun setting on the Ponte Vecchio. 

Signing off until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment