Thursday, October 23, 2014

Field Trip to Lake Como

Day 8 

Today's adventure involved the high-speed train back to Milano to catch a local train to Lake Como. I'm traveling alone this time - determined to see the lake's beauty!  

When I arrived at Milano's centrale stazione, it actually took me almost 25 minutes to figure out where to go next - even though I was just there a few days earlier!  I could circumnavigate the station no problem but my train wasn't listed on the board. I asked for help 4 times, and got a different answer each time - all wrong. Finally a kind man translated for me so I could figure out the end destination of my line (Tirano) - what I had written as the last stop was only a main stop. 

From start to finish it took me 3.5 hours to get to Varenna, Lake Como. When the train pulled into the station, I waited to get out with 2 sets of foreigners: 1) the ones who didn't validate their tickets (lucky to not get fined) and 2) the ones who were running up and down the platforms trying to find the right train. When the doors didn't open, they said maybe we weren't there yet. No, people are getting out!  So I grabbed the big red door handle - that looks like an emergency handle - and we spilled out onto the oncoming train tracks. Seems wrong but it was right!

Varenna from the train


OMG... Lake Como is beautiful!  I am trying to remember the last time I saw such a beautiful place!  I caught the ferry to the town I was staying in - Bellagio. Normally Bellagio is quite touristy, and where you might catch a glimpse of George Clooney. But today it is the off season. My hotel, Hotel Splendide, has spoiled me with an incredible lake front view - and a complimentary aperitif at the lake front cafe. I'm off to a great start!

Car ferry to Bellagio


Bellagio

A cold front came down from Switzerland. Where as it is bright and sunny, the temperature has dropped to the mid 50s with a strong wind. Walking around for a little over an hour was enough to see the town (without shopping), and make it out to the Tremezzina - the point where the lake's 3 branches meet. 

Punta Spartivento - the tip of Bellagio. (The mountains in the distance get snow tonight.)



Other than the howling wind, the rest of the day was quiet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment