Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Florence Walking Tour

Day 6

Today's treat was hooking up with my brother Craig and Reene! We met them for breakfast. I brought them to Chiaroscuro because my notes said it was the best coffee. It was good coffee and a tasty pastry but what was even more enjoyable was the experience. He was very nice, spoke English, and let us sit (for a long time) for free.

Our first activity was a walking tour with Florinda at ArtViva. I thought it was very well done - but I learned even more on my last Florence tour with Rafaella, and will reserve with her (privately) next time. Florinda spoke perfect English, had American humor, and "acted" out her tour quite well.















Ponte Vecchio

For lunch, I had planned to return to my favorite. It is a hole in the wall (small not grimy) called ifratellini. They serve a choice of 30 sandwiches for 3 euro - delicious and on a fresh roll - and a glass of wine. They don't have seating (it's just a service window) so we took it to the Palazzo Signoria and sat on one of the many marble benches found throughout the city attached to important buildings. It's my dream lunch - a picnic in such splendor.


Lunch from I Due Fratellini.  Since there is no seating, they let us take the wine glass to the nearby Palazzo Signoria.

Then we headed to a free Florence walking tour called the "Medici" tour. It was very good for its price but I think a lot of it was the same info as the morning tour. I assumed it would be different because they also offer a free historical tour. Craig, Reene and mom skipped out early - for Grom gelato.
For the free tour, look for the guide in the red pants.  He leads both the free tours, and you will see him every day walking around Florence.  (He had on the same outfit every day.)


The tour ended in front of Pitti Palace, which I was seeing for my first time. The sun glowing on the palace made me realize we were needing to be at our next destination - watching the sunset over the city from the top of Piazzale Michelangiolo. It was so nice to sit up there on the steps with a beer, talking and enjoying the live music. Then we took in a few minutes of catholic mass in the crypt of San Miniato; I thought it was supposed to be a Gregorian chant - nope.


View from the Piazzale Michelangiolo

Sitting on the steps of the Piazzale Michelangiolo enjoying the atmosphere and view




Statue of David in the center of the parking lot at the Piazzale Michelangiolo

On the way down Craig and Reene were patient enough to find a place I wanted to try: l'Pizzacchiere. I wish I were paying attention on the way up because we actually walked right by it! It is very small and quickly filled up after opening at 6:00. More deliciousness!

We weren't done yet. Craig wanted to get train tickets, and I was determined to find the most direct route to the station... After the immediate, original Roman grid of the old city, the streets randomly spiderweb out.

The weirdest sensation today was déjà vu several times ... I could so clearly remember being in the exact places with Greg on our 2011 trip, like it was just last week! I touched the boar for both of us so we can come back again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment