Sunday, October 19, 2014

Last day in Marrakech

Day 4

Today felt like a game of catch where no one can catch the ball...somewhat frustrating. Some highlights. Some lowlights. Overall I am going to leave here saying Marrakech was tantalizing and exciting. I am thankful for my visit. I met some wonderful Moroccans; there are many. But at times I felt like a stupid American. I don't know Arabic. I don't know French. I don't understand. Using hand signals doesn't work well - do they point a different way for down?  For some reason, I'm quite embarrassed to admit, past day one the food is no longer appetizing and the smells make me nauseous. 

So, what did we do today?  I started at sunrise (late here at 7:45) with my camera taking pictures of the locals opening their shops. I love that!  Then we went to the Saadien Tombs, a huge ruined palace populated with storks, and the souks (shopping). 



Getting the chickens ready to be delivered.














My secret to getting around the medina was to see which way the satellite dishes were facing…they point you to the square.



The souks are entertaining and bustling with activity. You can't avoid them, as they are part of the maze to where you want to go. The Moroccans think we are "Allemand" (German), which they can't speak, so unless we are speaking to each other (the American giveaway), they leave us alone. I wanted to shop but I do not like to haggle. Determined to come home with gifts, I made the plunge. The owner and I are sitting down exchanging prices on a notepad. (Thankfully no hot, sweet mint tea was involved.) He actually wanted twice the price as 3 shops down, and expected me to pay his "fair" price. "Not today" my guide Abdul had advised me to say. Finally we agreed and shook hands - only to find out he didn't have enough pieces. And I'm certain he went 3 shops down to buy more!

 












One of the many lamp shops in the souks.  I really wanted to bring one home!

Colorful Moroccan slippers - babouches

Then I decided I needed to experience a camel (dromedary - 1 hump) ride.  That was pretty cool because it was unique!  I was driven out to the Palmerie to a large dirt lot - with about 6 camels tied up.  They suited me up in appropriate attire, and walked me around (on a leash) for about 45 minutes.  Definitely not exciting but calming and somewhat refreshing (compared to the crowds and stifling air in the medina). But I really did not need it's ending - with no fair warning, they made me wait (in the dirt lot, mind you) over an hour (until the ATV riders returned) to finally give me a ride back to the medina.  But the worst was the tease of a beer cap sticking out of the dirt; then I began hallucinating ice cold beer. 























Dinner was back at the riad which serves a forbidden, expensive bottle of wine that we accompanied with a small amount of cheese, crackers and olives. In the morning we depart to Italy, and we are ready!


No comments:

Post a Comment